Must be 18 years or over at the start of the course.
Higher National Diploma (HND) in Business provide opportunities to gain the necessary skills and knowledge at both operation and strategic level in the business sector
Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Business have been developed to focus on:
- Providing opportunities for learners to gain a nationally recognised vocationally specific qualification to enter employment in business or progress to higher education vocational qualifications such as a full-time degree in business or a related area
- Providing education and training for a range of careers in business such as management, administration, personnel, marketing, accounting, and law
- Develop Cognitive skills of critical thinking, analysis and synthesis
- Enhance effective problem solving and decision making using appropriate quantitative and qualitative methods
- Promote skills including identifying, formulating and solving business problems
- Formulate effective communication, oral and in writing, using a range of media widely used in business e.g. the preparation and presentation of business reports
- Providing opportunities for learners to focus on the development of higher-level skills in a business context
- Providing opportunities for learners to develop a range of skills and techniques and attributes essential for successful performance in working life
What could these qualifications lead to?
- The new BTEC Higher National qualifications in Business are designed to reflect this increasing need for high quality professional and technical education pathways at Levels 4 and 5, thereby providing students with a clear line of sight to employment and to progression to a degree at Level 6
The Level 5 Higher National Diploma is recognised by Higher Education providers as meeting admission requirements to many relevant business-related courses, for example:
● BSc (Hons) in Business and Management
● BA and BSc (Hons) in Business Studies
● BSc (Hons) in International Management.
Students should always check the entry requirements for degree programmes at specific Higher Education providers. After completing a BTEC Higher National
Certificate or Diploma, students can also progress directly into employment.
Subject Benchmark Statement
General Business and Management 2015, available at: https://www.qaa.ac.uk/docs/qaa/subject-benchmark-statements/sbs-business-management-15.pdf?sfvrsn=c7e1f781_10
|Programme’s Title||BTEC HND in Business|
|Duration||24 Months (FT)|
36/48 Months (PT)
|Mode of Study||Full Time (FT)|
Part Time (PT)
|Guided Learning Hours||FT – 960 Hours of Guided Learning|
|RQF Level||Level 5|
Candidates must have the following:
BTEC Level 4 HNC
The Higher National Certificate (HNC) is a Level 4 qualification made up of 120 credits. It is usually studied full-time over one year, or part-time over two years. The Pearson BTEC Level 4 HNC in Business is a qualification with a minimum of 120 credits of which 90 are mandatory core unit credit. This is made up of eight units, each with a value of 15 credits; 6 are mandatory and 2 optional.
BTEC Level 5 HND
The Pearson BTEC Level 5 HND in Business is a qualification with a minimum of 240 credits of which 135 are mandatory core unit credit. The Pearson BTEC Level 5 HND programme must contain a minimum of 120 credits at level 5 and 120 credits are at Level 4 and usually attained via the HNC.
- Qualification credit value: a minimum of 240 credits.
- There is a required mix of core, specialist and optional units totalling 240 credits. The core units required for each Level 5 specialist pathway (in addition
to the specialist units) are Business Research Project, which is weighted at 30 credits, and Organisational Behaviour, weighted at 15 credits.
- Mandatory core unit credit: 135 credits.
- Specialist unit credit: 105 credits.
- The requirements of the HNC have to be met.
- Students undertaking an HND who fail to successfully complete the full qualification may be awarded an HNC as an exit route, if their credit achievement permits.
Home / EU Students
|Full-time||£6000 / Annum|
|Part-time||£4500 / Annum|
There are currently two terms per year
Academic Year 1
01 Business and the Business Environment
02 Marketing Essentials
03 Study Skills Part-1
04 Human Resource Management
05 Management and Operations
06 Management Accounting
07 Managing a Successful Business Project
08 Innovation and Commercialisation
09 Entrepreneurship and Small Business
Academic Year 2
10 Organisational Behaviour
11 Business Strategy
12 Study Skills – Part 2
13 Human Resources – Value and Contribution to Organisational Success
14 International Marketing
15 Business Systems
16 Research Project (Pearson-set)
17 Tapping into New and International Markets